Thursday, August 28, 2014

Recipe: Black Bean and Egg Enchiladas and Spice Roasted Potatoes

Black Bean and Egg Enchiladas

Ingredients:
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely minced
1 serrano, seeding and finely minced
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 can black beans
1 T chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano 
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 eggs
tortillas ( around 12)
2 cans of verde enchilada sauce (or any enchilada sauce)
Cheese (I used a Mexican blend, but I think monterey jack would be really good)


Directions:
Saute the onion and peppers until soft. Add the garlic and cook a few minutes. Add the spices and beans and cook a few more minutes. Beat the eggs separately in a bowl and add them to the pepper and bean mixture. Cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently. This will make the eggs cook into tiny pieces and look a little bit like ground meat.

Wrap the tortillas in a towel and microwave for a minute or two until they are soft. Fill the tortillas with filling, wrap up and add to a baking dish. Top with enchilada sauce and cheese. (Note: I left cheese off a third of the enchiladas because Marcella limits her dairy. I then added extra cheese to mine because cheese is one of the three greatest foods of all times.). Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melty.

Spice Roasted Potatoes

Ingredients:
Lots of potatoes (I used the white potatoes from my CSA. Maybe 2 pounds?)
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp thyme
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Peel potatoes or just scrub them really well if you want to use the skins (the healthiest part of the potato, ya know).  Cut into chucks about 1.5-2 inches. Coat in a few tablespoons of oil, toss with spices. Roast at 350 degrees until soft in the middle and crispy on the outside. I think about 60 minutes. 

Note: I wouldn't usually serve potatoes with enchiladas. I typically service rice and beans or a little salad. However, I wanted to make an effort to use everything from my CSA. And I also think potatoes are one of the three greatest foods ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment