Friday, September 5, 2014

Sweater Spinning

I started spinning wool for a sweater last month. Here's the fiber:

 Archons
Corridale wool
Dyed by Hello Yarn
16 oz. total (4 oz. pictured)


The fiber came in 4, 4 oz. bumps. I divided 3 of the bumps in half lengthwise and spun the singles. I numbered each bobbin. 1 and 2 are from the same bump, 3 and 4 are from the same bump, and 5 and 6 are from the same bump. I'm going to ply 1 and 3, 2 and 5, and 4 and 6 to mix the colors up in a random(ish) way.

I divided the last bump into half lengthwise, and then I split each length in half again into 1 oz pieces. I spun 2 ounces onto each bobbin. I'm going to wind those bobbins into ball and ply from each end. This will give me shorter repeats of color for the sleeves. Hopefully they will also be somewhat matching.


 I finished spinning all my singles. Up next is plying! The yarn should be approximately fingering/sport weight.


No comments:

Post a Comment